Saturday, July 25, 2009

Beaufort County Library Tour




I recently returned from beautiful Beaufort county, SC and a 5 branch library tour where I presented my cartooning and comics programs for kids 6 and up. The summer reading theme this year is "Be Creative at your Library", and I was honored to be invited to take part in teaching the creative art of cartooning. Turnout varied by branch, but each group of young enthusiastic artists was totally focused on making their own characters- and some even brought their sketchbooks to share their collection of cartoon art with me. Pictured here are a few shots from the Bluffton branch...a gorgeous new library that made me feel as if I were walking into a plantation home. Joining me in the colorful children's section photograph along with a giant stuffed bear and "found object" Chinese dragon are Wendy Allen-Youth services director; and Greg Crispell-children's programmer. The hospitality at each branch was fantastic! The little girl statue that awaits visitors outside the Bluffton entrance is "Holding On" by Norman Mansson. The staff of the St. Helena branch deserves a gold medal, as their building is going through severe renovations this summer. During my visit- they were being subjected to the pungent aroma of hot roofing tar, which was being mixed in a huge vat just outside the door. The effect was literally dizzying on me during my brief stay, and I so offer kudos to the staff for their patience and stamina!

No comments:

Post a Comment