Saturday, February 14, 2009

3rd Grade Student Art


This past week I visited the Blue Riboon Award-Winning Pontiac Elementary School in Elgin, SC, and presented cartooning programs during their arts day celebration. Students were very excited to draw Hamster Sam, Miles the inchworm and Eli the cotton boll from the book. Then they applied what they learned to create their own characters. I am frequently presented with artwork from students who wish for me to have their creations, and this visit was no exception. Seen here is what I consider to be remarkable artwork from a young 3rd grade student. Yes, 3rd Grade! "Justin" drew his own version of Hamster Sam in a (Charlotte NBA) Bobcats uniform along with "Eli" and "Miles"; and then added his own characters. I am amazed by the control he seemed to have with his pencil, and the steadiness of the lines- especially in the oval & circle shaped eyes. Of course, I am always happy to see all of the student works- no matter what skill level they exhibit. They have grins a mile wide when proudly showing me their art; which makese me smile too! But I had to share this young boy's artwork; for someday he may employ me for his comic!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to Dave for the presentation at Pontiac...it was wonderful! Way to go Justin! We are so proud of you!
    -Kelly Smith
    Art Teacher, Pontiac Elem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Dave McDonald for acknowledging Justin's astounding artistic talent. Over the years I have observed as Justin has continuously sharpened his skills becoming a true student of art, while developing self-confidence in his abilities and bringing joy to others through his artwork. Which is why placing his drawing into your blog is the absolute best motivation that you could have possibly given him. Again, I am definitely proud of this honor bestowed upon such a student at such a young age, however my pride for this honor does not supersede the joy of calling him "SON"!

    Justin H. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Smith,
    I am happy to have inspired young Justin, and do hope that he continues to work on the craft of drawing comics and writing stories for his characters. One never knows where our artistic talents can take us; but their are so many directions to go in; so many opportunities! I can also say from personal experience that there is no better power than that of supportive moms, dads and family members; it makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete